Lots of people speak nowadays of a racial numeration. However a real numeration needs a desire to shock the status quo. Both NPQ– in collaboration with Success Now— and Shelterforce each released multi-part short article series on how to close the racial wealth space. Here we have brought authors from both series to resolve the concern: What must be done?
In this 90-minute extensive webinar, collectively arranged by NPQ and Shelterforce, 4 field leaders go over main concerns relating to financial justice, racial justice, and tactical techniques to closing the wealth space.
Our panelists are:
Gary Cunningham, CEO of Success Now, a nationwide racial and financial justice not-for-profit headquartered in Washington, D.C. Success Now is bought changing our economy to work for everybody.
Jeremie Greer, co-founder and co-executive director of Freedom in a Generation, a company nurtured by PolicyLink, which is developing the power of individuals of color to completely change the economy.
john a. powell, director of the Othering & & Belonging Institute and teacher of law, African American, and ethnic research studies at the University of California, Berkeley.
Anne Cost, president of the Insight Center for Neighborhood Economic Advancement, which aims to move power and company in financial policy by focusing those closest to the issues in establishing options.
This webinar checks out:
- What are the prominent standard techniques for attending to the racial wealth space? Why do they fail?
- What are methods which wealth continues to be drawn out from neighborhoods of color, additional deepening the racial wealth divide?
- How do increasing trainee and medical financial obligation effect the racial wealth space?
- How does the tax system impact the racial wealth space?
- What is “targeted universalism”? How does it develop on– and vary from– an equity technique?
- What would a “targeted universalist” technique to attending to the racial wealth space appear like?
- Does decreasing the homeownership space close the racial wealth space? Why or why not?
- What are we finding out in the field– from neighborhood advancement leaders and others– of how to develop wealth in low-income and BIPOC neighborhoods?
- What is the function of reparations in attending to the racial wealth space and setting the foundation for a more simply economy?
Articles included in the webinar
Gary Cunningham, “ Closing the Racial Wealth Divide– A Require Strategic Thinking,” NPQ, January 12, 2022.
Jeremie Greer, “ Wealth Structure Will Not Work While Wealth Extraction Continues,” Shelterforce, February 14, 2022.
Register For our complimentary newsletter
Sign Up For the NPQ newsletter to have our leading stories provided straight to your inbox.
john a. powell, “ Beyond Equity: Targeted Universalism and the Closing of the Racial Wealth Space,” NPQ, January 19, 2022.
Anne Cost, “ Doing ‘The Right Thing’ Will Not Close the Racial Wealth Space,” Shelterforce, February 8, 2022.
Gary Cunningham, “ Reinforcing Our Identity: Reconsidering the Course to Black Freedom,” NPQ, January 21, 2021.
Natasha Hicks, Fenaba Addo, and Anne Cost, and William Darity, Jr., Still Adding the Down Escalator: How Stories Forming Our Comprehending of Racial Wealth Inequality, Oakland, CA and Durham, NC: Insight Center for Neighborhood Economic Advancement and the Samuel Dubois Center on Social Equity, September 14, 2021.
Michael McAfee, “ Towards Freedom: An Interview with Jeremie Greer on the Racial Equity Governing Program,” Oakland, CA: Policy Link, February 2, 2021.
Othering and Belonging Institute, Animated Explainer Video Series, Berkeley, CA: OBI, August 12, 2021.
john a. powell, “ Bridging or Breaking? The Stories We Inform Will Produce the Future We Occupy,” Nonprofit Quarterly, winter season 2019, pp. 36-39.
Anne Cost, Do Not Focus on the Racial Wealth Space, Oakland, CA and New York City, NY: Insight Center for Neighborhood Economic Advancement and the Roosevelt Institute, February 2020.
NPQ-Prosperity Now series, The Pledge of Targeted Universalism: Neighborhood Leaders Respond, January 12-March 2, 2022.
Shelterforce series, The Racial Wealth Space– Relocating To Systemic Solutions, February 7-April 4, 2022.